Friday, April 27, 2007

This salmon tastes just like rib-eye

I took a day off this week to accompany my mom to an appointment in Indy. All is well and we had a nice lunch to celebrate. I had grilled salmon at Palomino and the weird thing is it tasted like a rib-eye steak. My first thought was that maybe they had grilled the salmon on top of grill space recently occupied by steak, except that wouldn't explain why all of the salmon meat seemed so moist and infused with that rounded lipid flavor. The waitress claimed its flavor profile was due to a vermouth butter that tops the fish. So, uh, vermouth tastes like rib-eye? That's news to me... Anyway, it got me thinking.

What if I cooked a couple of rib-eyes on a grill, then trimmed off the excess perimeter fat, threw the trimmings in a saucepan and heated it up, rendering out the fat so I had a nice basting liquid of grilled rib-eye essence. I could then repeatedly swab this liquid fat onto a grilling piece of salmon. Hey, I never claimed it was healthy. But it sure would taste good. Oh, if anybody is thinking of attempting this at home - be careful when basting the salmon with liquid fat over an open flame. This could cause some serious flame flare-ups. So maybe it would be more prudent to sear the salmon off in a pan and then roast in the oven, basting while roasting. Less opportunity to lose an eyebrow.

No comments: